Historic Site

Fort de La Presentation

An historic fort established in 1749 that played a meaningful supporting role in both the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.

  • Parking
Share
Ogdensburg, NY

First settled in 1749 by Abbe Piquet as a French Mission for the conversion of First Nations people from the St. Lawrence Valley to the Catholic Faith. It was built at the confluence of the  Oswegatchie River and the St. Lawrence River in New York. During the American Revolution, the English flag flew over the fort, now named Fort Oswegatchie. Although no battles were fought at the fort, its soldiers successfully engaged the American army at the Battle of the Cedars. The fort served as a location for rest and repair for Major Barry St. Leger en route upriver on the St. Lawrence to enter the Mohawk River Valley and lay siege to Fort Stanwix. The fort was kept under observation from scouts sent up from the Mohawk Valley by General George Washington. The English held the Fort and surrounding territory until the adoption of the Jay Treaty in 1793.

From 1793 to 1813, the fort was a military post and served as the administrative center for St. Lawrence County, and was renamed once again, Fort Presentation. The occupation ended when British and Canadian troops forced Captain Benjamin Forsyth to withdraw on February 22, 1813.